This is Birmingham
1. Birmingham is the UK’s second largest city with a population of just over 1 million people
2. 4.3 million people live within an hour’s commute of Birmingham centre
3. Birmingham has the youngest population of any city in Europe with 38% under the age of 25
4. 10,000 people are added the population of Birmingham every year. That’s 200 people a week!
5. In 2011 census, for the first time ever, less than half the city’s population self-defined as Christian. 46.1% of Birmingham residents said they were Christian, 21.8% Muslim and 19.3% had no religion.
6. Between 2001 and 201 the population has increased by almost 90,000 - a growth of 9.1%. 6. Birmingham has the largest student population outside of London at 65,000.
7. Only 6% of the population of Birmingham ever go to church
8. 57% of the Birmingham’s under 11’s are from a variety of ethnic minorities
9. Birmingham has the highest unemployment rate of any major UK city at 10.3% of the working population
10. Birmingham has more Michelin-starred restaurants than any English city outside London
11. We are the home of some great businesses including Jaguar Land Rover and Cadbury chocolate.
12. University of Birmingham was awarded UK university of the year for 2013.